How to install Python package from source on Windows

breamoreboy at gmail.com breamoreboy at gmail.com
Thu May 18 05:55:16 EDT 2017

On Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 1:19:48 AM UTC+1, Steve D'Aprano wrote:
> On Thu, 18 May 2017 07:47 am, Ian Kelly wrote:
>
> > Because, as has already been stated, there's no way to make such a simple
> > process cross-platform.
>
> Please understand that Bart's understanding of cross-platform and the Python
> community's understanding of cross-platform are different.
>
> Bart's understanding of cross-platform is:
>
> "I have a Windows box, or maybe two of them, and a Linux VM, and so long as
> my code will compile and run a few simple scripts on each of them with no
> obvious bugs, I'm going to assume we're done!"
>
> The Python community's understanding is:
>
> "We have to support literally tens of thousands of different combinations
> and permutations of hardware, operating system version, variations in how
> the OS and user's environment are configured, and variations in C compilers
> and how they are configured; we have to support hundreds of different
> flavours of Linux alone, plus FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, and other Unixes,
> plus multiple versions of Windows and MacOS, and possibly a few others; we
> have to support machines with different floating point capabilities, and as
> much as possible abstract those differences away so that they're not
> visible to the end user; and importantly, we want to halt the build process
> with a comprehensible[1] error message if some essential feature is lacking
> on your platform."
>

> When I first started using Python in version 1.5, among the many Unixes
> supported were:
>
> - VAX;
> - VMS;

VAX and VMS are Unixes, you learn something new every day ;)

PEP 11 https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0011/ gives quite a list of OSes that were but are no longer supported.

Perhaps Bart can also tell us why the developers have so many buildbots to support https://www.python.org/dev/buildbot/.

> [1] Comprehensible to the core devs, not necessarily the end user.
>
> --
> Steve
> Emoji: a small, fuzzy, indistinct picture used to replace a clear and
> perfectly comprehensible word.

Kindest regards.

Mark Lawrence.