How to install Python package from source on Windows

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Wed May 17 18:49:50 EDT 2017

On 05/17/2017 04:21 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> One of the complaints that bartc raised against clang was that it's
> not self-contained - that it depends on some other stdlib. Yet he
> espouses a tiny C compiler that obviously has the same limitation. On
> my Linux boxes, I can grab GNU libc; but on Windows, where are you
> going to get the header files and link-time libraries from? Oh right.
> MSVC.

No so. Tcc has a full suite of header files for msvcrt and also support
for the win32 API.  MingW GCC has had its own set of headers for many
years, and they could probably be freely used.

So in some sense, TCC and MingW are both self-contained. Neither depends
on MSVC, though both depend on a version of the MSVCRT which can be
installed as its own redistributable package.  In fact Python 3.6 ships
with the latest version of the MSVCRT universal runtime.