How to install Python package from source on Windows

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed May 17 17:40:36 EDT 2017

On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 6:52 AM, bartc <bc at freeuk.com> wrote:
>> determines whether your system has the required
>> compilers and libraries, figures out what source files should be
>> compiled, and calculates the order in which to build the source files.
>

> Yes! That's what I need!
>
> But either this information is highly classified, or nobody here actually
> knows how to extract it from the output of configure or the makefile or
> wherever it ends up.

Have you looked in config.log?

configure:3651: checking for gcc
configure:3667: found /usr/bin/gcc
configure:3678: result: gcc

Or the less verbose form that you see on the console while it's
actually running?

checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes

And of course, there's all the headers that Python looks for:

checking spawn.h usability... yes
checking spawn.h presence... yes
checking for spawn.h... yes
checking util.h usability... no
checking util.h presence... no
checking for util.h... no
checking alloca.h usability... yes
checking alloca.h presence... yes
checking for alloca.h... yes
checking endian.h usability... yes
checking endian.h presence... yes
checking for endian.h... yes

and the standard library functions:

checking for kill... yes
checking for killpg... yes
checking for lchmod... no
checking for lchown... yes
checking for linkat... yes
checking for lstat... yes
checking for lutimes... yes
checking for mmap... yes

and some architecture-specific things:

checking whether C doubles are little-endian IEEE 754 binary64... yes
checking whether C doubles are big-endian IEEE 754 binary64... no
checking whether C doubles are ARM mixed-endian IEEE 754 binary64... no
checking whether we can use gcc inline assembler to get and set x87
control word... yes
checking whether we can use gcc inline assembler to get and set
mc68881 fpcr... no
checking for x87-style double rounding... no

For "highly classified" information, this is being very well hidden in
plain sight.

ChrisA