How to install Python package from source on Windows

bartc bc at freeuk.com
Tue May 16 19:01:05 EDT 2017

On 16/05/2017 23:33, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 8:17 AM, bartc <bc at freeuk.com> wrote:

> Then you are stuck in your own little bubble. That's fine as long as
> you never try to foist your software OR your system on anyone else.
> The rest of us collaborate with other people.

Other people who MUST have VS2015, otherwise nothing doing! Funny sort
of collaboration.

> Sure, you can download a snapshot without git. How would you
> contribute some changes upstream?

I thought the OP wanted to use a particular package not maintain it.
This is what those who supply open source seem to forget: most people
just want to build and use the software, not rewrite it!

And for that purpose, the method of distribution and building can be
considerably simpler.

> How many combinations of compiler, standard library, operating system,
> and CPU architecture do you support? Again, you're stuck in your own
> petty little bubble and have no clue what it takes to build a big
> project.

What do you mean what /I/ support?

I'm talking about opening up the build details of Python or a Python
component so it can be built with the nearest C compiler to hand. And C
compilers exist for pretty much any platform.

> You don't, because you've never used CPUs with different endianness,
> or C standard libraries that vary in what functions they support, or
> OSes that vary in the semantics of process starting and termination.
> The rest of us do.

And it sounds like the CPython developers have never used a compiler
other than gcc or MSVC, and the latter only reluctantly.

> On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 7:35 AM, mm0fmf <none at invalid.com> wrote:
>> I smell trolling rather than ignorance.
>
> Seems somewhere in between. It's wilful ignorance.

On whose part? I can understand that (likely younger) people are so used
to working with large-scale tools where the details are hidden away,
then they find it inconceivable that it is possible to do without.

Anyway wasn't it you who suggested using TCC? This is a compiler that
was advertised as being only 100KB in size. (It might have been once,
but is nearer 200KB now.)

But since this is all apparently so easy for everyone else here accept
me, let one of them do this experiment: get CPython source code, compile
it with an alternative small compiler (Tiny C is one), and see how it
compares with CPython compiled with gcc or MSVC.

It should be a piece of cake, yes?

--
bartc