How to install Python package from source on Windows

Christian Gollwitzer auriocus at gmx.de
Tue May 16 03:14:09 EDT 2017

Am 15.05.17 um 23:58 schrieb Chris Angelico:
> On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 7:01 AM, Deborah Swanson
> <python at deborahswanson.net> wrote:
>> But I'm a little more mystified that official Python builds are leaning
>> on Visual C++ (and that's what the crutch comment was primarily aimed
>> at).
> You seem to be of the opinion that some day, binary executables will
> be compiled using pure Python code. Maybe that's true; maybe it's not.

More likely would be the option to ship a C compiler with Python written
in C. For C++ this is way too big, but a pure C compiler can be as small
as 1MB. tcc has a liberal license, supports many platforms and gives
reasonable (unoptimized) code. AFAIK Mathworks does that, they ship tcc
on Windows so that you can build .mex files without installing
additional software, though they recommend to get a decent compiler for
performance reasons

	Christian