How to install Python package from source on Windows

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon May 15 02:28:39 EDT 2017

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 4:14 PM, Deborah Swanson
<python at deborahswanson.net> wrote:
> Looks like lack of Visual C++ tripped me up again.
>
> Strange how Python code can't install with purely Python code. I don't
> plan to have Visual anything on Linux either.
>
> It might be possible to do something with
>
> lib\recordclass\test\test_record.py ->
> build\lib.win32-3.4\recordclass\test and
>
> lib\recordclass\record.py -> build\lib.win32-3.4\recordclass,
>
> but I wouldn't know what.
>
> Maybe I should go back to Python 2.7.8 for this.

That's the thing, though: it is NOT purely Python code. The module
you're trying to install is implemented in C, which is why it needs a
C compiler. It may be that Anaconda is breaking the wheels, which
means that you can't use the precompiled binaries; you could try using
conda to install the module. Otherwise, try installing vanilla CPython
3.4, and see if that helps.

Or get yourself off XP, because it's not supported any more anyway.

ChrisA