Survey: improving the Python std lib docs

jladasky at itu.edu jladasky at itu.edu
Fri May 12 14:05:58 EDT 2017

On Friday, May 12, 2017 at 3:02:58 AM UTC-7, Steve D'Aprano wrote:

> (1) Table of functions/classes at the start of each module doc
>
> The docs for builtins starts with a table of built-in functions:
>
> https://docs.python.org/3/library/functions.html
>

> Docs for other modules should do similar...

I agree with this suggestion.  I usually know what I want out of a module, but I don't know the exact name(s) of the relevant function(s).  Frequently, I find myself looking through the docs... and in parallel, I start a Python interpreter, type "import foo", and then "dir(foo)" to see everything that the module foo contains.