I want to learn Python and how to benefit from the great Data Science packages - have some questions.

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Sat May 6 21:05:06 EDT 2017

On 05/06/2017 01:33 PM, Rahim Shamsy wrote:
> Is there a better and faster way? I need more problem solving
> experience (keeping in mind Data Science) with python.

Probably. Depends on the person and how one learns.

The best way to learn python is to have a problem you wish to solve and
start constructing a program in Python to solve it.  If I were you I
would check into the SciPy community, which specializes in using Python
in science and analysis.  Once you have a grasp of basic Python syntax,
how to do basic I/O, just start programming. In many ways, it really is
true: Python is as close to executable pseudo-code as you can get.

> - What resources can I use so that I can leverage my knowledge of
> Java (just know it from class), so that I can learn Python fast?

Frankly if you just have Java knowledge from a class it won't help you
in Python very much, other than give you a basic understanding of logic
(if statements, loops, etc).  A lot of the boilerplate stuff in
Java, such as static classes, static members, etc, aren't necessary in
Python and if you try to code Python in a way that looks like Java
you'll just end up fighting the language and not having much fun.  In my
opinion, just forget what you know about Java as you learn Python.