Promiscuous ports under Linux

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Thu May 4 14:04:02 EDT 2017

On 2017-05-04, Peter Pearson <pkpearson at nowhere.invalid> wrote:

> I'm curious to survey all my LAN traffic in various ways, and it seems
> likely that I will see phenomena that I don't understand, and focussing
> in on those phenomena is likely to require more flexible filtering
> than Wireshark can provide.  I expect to leave this process running for
> maybe 24 hours at a stretch, maybe longer, with real-time alerts when
> interesting things occur.

You can libpcap (which is what wireshark uses on Linux) to deal with
the details of capturing the packets and do the analysis in Python.

> Maybe Wireshark can do everything I'll ever need to do, but it seems
> so complicated, and Python seems so simple . . .

I've been using pylibpcap for yonks, and have no complaints.

  https://sourceforge.net/projects/pylibpcap/

Another advantage of pylibpcap is that you can used it to read files
saved by wireshark or tcpdump.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Somewhere in DOWNTOWN
                                  at               BURBANK a prostitute is