Promiscuous ports under Linux

alister alister.ware at ntlworld.com
Thu May 4 07:48:22 EDT 2017

On Thu, 04 May 2017 14:11:04 +0300, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:

> alister <alister.ware at ntlworld.com>:
>
>> On Wed, 03 May 2017 23:57:49 +0000, Peter Pearson wrote:
>>
>>> Cobbling together a minimalist ethernet-sniffing program, I was hoping
>>> to use this simple mechanism for setting the socket to "promiscuous
>>> mode" (to see all traffic going past, instead of just traffic
>>> addressed to my machine):
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> any particular reason why you wish to re-invent this particular wheel
>> when wireshark is freely available (& the de-facto tool of choice for
>> most network engineers)
>
> There are a million plausible reasons. "Just because" is among the
> noblest of them.
>
> Your question has the ring of: Why do you want to compose music when you
> can simply turn on the radio?
>

> Marko

not at all, it was simple curiosity.
I have recreated man wheels "just because" as it is a great way to learn
but it is important to know that it is probably not the best solution.

(likewise if you have heard my guitar playing/karaoke you would agree
that turning on the radio is preferred)

--
Pereant, inquit, qui ante nos nostra dixerunt.
	[Confound those who have said our remarks before us.]