Text-mode apps (Was :Who are the "spacists"?)

Rick Johnson rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 00:21:56 EDT 2017

On Sunday, March 26, 2017 at 2:53:49 PM UTC-5, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 6:25 AM, Mikhail V <mikhailwas at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 26 March 2017 at 20:10, Steve D'Aprano <steve+python at pearwood.info> wrote:
> >> On Mon, 27 Mar 2017 03:57 am, Mikhail V wrote:

> I generally find that when people say that Unicode doesn't
> solve their problems and they need to roll their own, it's
> usually one of two possibilities:  1) "Their problems" are
> all about simplicity. They don't want to have to deal with
> all the complexities of real-world text, so they
> arbitrarily restrict things.

There are only so many hours in the day Chris. Not every
progammer has the time to cater to every selfish desire of
every potential client. You try to create the best product
you can, but at the end of the process, there will always be
someone (or a group of someones) who are unhappy with the
result.

> 2) Unicode _would_ solve their problems, they just don't
> realize it.  So if you're rolling your own text display
> system, you should start by making a signed declaration:
>
> """
> I, the undersigned, acknowledge that my program is
> intentionally excluding everyone who does not fit the
> following requirements: [choose all applicable]
>
> [ ] Speaks English exclusively

Of course, your comment presupposing that every programmer
is fluent in every natural language. Which is not only
impractical, it's impossible.

> [ ] Uses no diacritical marks

Why is it my responsibiliy to encode my text with
pronuciation tutorials? Are we adults here or what?

> [ ] Writes all text top-to-bottom, left-to-right

Not my problem. Learn the King's English or go wait for
extinction to arrive.

> [ ] Uses only characters from the Basic Multilingual Plane
> [ ] Uses only characters from this codepage: ____
> [ ] Uses a monospaced font
> [ ] Uses a proportionally-spaced font
> [ ] Uses this font: _____________
> [ ] Uses a mouse
> [ ] Uses a keyboard
> [ ] Other: ___________________
> (use additional pages if required)

What don't you add these:

[ ] Has the ability to read and comprehend at a high
    school level.
[ ] Has functioning visual receptors.
[ ] Has a functioning brain.
[ ] Is not currently in a vegetative state

> Sure, there are good reasons to place restrictions on
> people's text. But those restrictions are part of your
> public API and UI. Acknowledge them. Own them. And justify
> them.

The only justifaction required is the bottom line. If your
products generate profit, then you're doing something right.
Besides, you don't need _everyone_ on the planet to buy your
product to be a success. Unlike the business practices of
Apple, we would be wise to leave plenty of room for others
to enter the market. Competition is good for everyone.
Monopolies are evil.