Program uses twice as much memory in Python 3.6 than in Python 3.5

Jan Gosmann jan at hyper-world.de
Mon Mar 27 23:15:12 EDT 2017

On 27 Mar 2017, at 20:00, Chris Angelico wrote:

> By the way, since you're aiming this at recent Python versions, you
> could skip the 'virtualenv' external dependency and use the built-in
> 'venv' package:
>
> $ python3 -m venv env

Yeah, I know about venv. The last time I tried it, there was still some
issue that prevented me from using it and I'm also still targeting 2.7
too.

> I'm a little confused here. When I install PIP requirements, it wants
> to set up OpenCL, but your README seems to be contrasting your
> implementation with the OpenCL one. Or is that for the sake of
> benchmarking, so you can compare one against the other?

Right, the PIP requirements are more than actually required for this
particular problem. But it is indeed for benchmarking comparing
different backends for a neural network simulator.

For the log_reduction.py script the nengo==2.3.1 and numpy==1.12.0 are
probably sufficient.

> In any case, I've installed nvidia-opencl-dev and it seems to be
> happy. How long should I expect this to run for?

On an Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1650 v3 @ 3.50GHz with 32GB RAM it
probably takes about 30 minutes with Python 3.5; longer with 3.6 because
things get written to the swap partition.

Jan