Text-mode apps (Was :Who are the "spacists"?)

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 14:29:43 EDT 2017

On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 5:10 AM, Steve D'Aprano
<steve+python at pearwood.info> wrote:
>> And for own standalone app, I would not use any TTF or
>> anything vector-based font, since why?
>
> Right, because your users will *love* to see their native language displayed
> in a crappy bitmapped font with jagged or blurry edges.

Side point: I have spent many hours wrestling with VLC to try to get a
subtitles font that looks good for all the world's languages. My
current setup has Latin, Cyrillic, and Greek looking great, Hebrew and
Arabic looking adequate (I'm no expert so I don't know beyond that),
but Thai, Chinese, Japanese, and Korean characters have jagged edges.
Thanks guys. It's 2017 and we're still using bitmap fonts.

ChrisA