syntax error in first-time user script

john polo jpolo at mail.usf.edu
Sat Mar 25 17:45:12 EDT 2017

I had a misconception of how the Python interpreter works. If I have a
script, call it example.py, in order to run it, I shouldn't be in the
interpreter? In other words, I should be at the Windows command prompt,
for example

C:/test> python example.py

and not

 >>> python example.py

?

So, if I am already on >>> and have a problem with a script and need to
edit it and want to run the script again, how do I do that? Do I exit
the interpreter and start it again? Or is there a different way to run
the script once the interpreter is active and I am at >>> ?

Cheers,
John