Subprocess .wait() is not waiting

eryk sun eryksun at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 17:04:59 EDT 2017

On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 8:24 PM, Ian Kelly <ian.g.kelly at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 2:09 PM, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Errr.... been a while since I messed with Windows.... from memory, I
>> think you can "start /wait programname" to make it wait?? Worth a try,
>> at least.
>
> start /wait is for batch scripts, specifically because by default
> start doesn't wait on GUI programs. I'm pretty sure that

In interactive mode, cmd waits on console programs but not GUI
programs. In a batch script or /c or /k command it always waits, in
which case `start` is required to run without waiting. The /w[ait]
option may be needed if you're using `start` for some other feature,
such as creating a new console or setting the CPU affinity. Otherwise
if you just need to wait in a batch script, then you probably don't
need `start /w`.