Recompilation of Python3.6.x

Thomas Nyberg tomuxiong at gmx.com
Thu Mar 23 10:47:14 EDT 2017

On 03/23/2017 03:45 AM, Klaus Jantzen wrote:
> The information must be somewhere because Python must have been compiled
> frequently and correctly for the various (important) OSs before making
> it available to the public. And I do not think that it is left up to
> "your luck" that the required packages and libraries are present.

Of course it's true that people don't just compile things by luck, but
it's also true that the issue is kind of beyond cpython. The best you
could really expect is for cpython to say the following libraries with
the following major numbers are required (possibly with links to the
websites for the sources). It's out of the cpython programmers control
how these libraries are made available on the many different systems and
distributions that python is used on. If you use it on distro a and you
want to compile it, it's basically your responsibility to figure out how
to get the libraries.

So really the main conclusion is that you should probably figure out how
to use your distribution wisely to find this information. For any
systems providing something similar to apt-get build-dep it's pretty
easy (which _is_ your situation and hence you have already solved your
problem). For others...well if you choose to use such a system it's your
responsibility.

As much as it was irritating not learning these tricks earlier, you do
now know them and should be fine going forward...

Cheers,
Thomas