Recompilation of Python3.6.x

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 21:39:26 EDT 2017

On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 10:50 AM, Nathan Ernst <nathan.ernst at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would also add a link to the dependency's project page, in case building
> from source is necessary.
>
> You don't always have root, and you're not always building with the system
> supplied compiler.
>
> There are a lot of situations that may require building from source. Far
> too many to even bother to enumerate.

If you're building a large project from source and are not using a
system-provided compiler, you should have enough experience with
building stuff from source that you can track libraries down yourself.
Conversely, if you don't have that experience, why in the world are
you not using a provided compiler?

You don't need admin access to install a compiler on Windows. On
Linux, you can generally replicate the environment somewhere else
(unless you're trying to build for some really unusual CPU, in which
case, again, you should first have enough experience to do it
manually), build using the normal methods, and then carry the binary
up to the restricted system.

ChrisA