Recompilation of Python3.6.x

Jon Ribbens jon+usenet at unequivocal.eu
Wed Mar 22 19:23:51 EDT 2017

On 2017-03-22, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2017-03-22, Thomas Nyberg <tomuxiong at gmx.com> wrote:
>> On 03/22/2017 03:22 PM, Jon Ribbens wrote:
>>> A simple table with a list of the library names, the debian package
>>> names, and the rpm names would provide the information in a way that
>>> would be useful to everyone.
>
> A _simple_ table would be useful.  However, a _simple_ table is not
> possible.
>
>> I definitely agree, but it would be kind of difficult to maintain. I
>> mean if you supported debian and redhat (should others be
>> considered?),
>
> And you would need table for each _version_ of each distribution
> (libraries sometimes get combined/renamed/split).

Not really, that's why I suggested one of the fields in the table
would be the standard library name - people should always be able
to use that to find the appropriate package for their distribution
(if there is one, otherwise they'll need to compile from source).

> And you would need tables showing which libraires are required for
> which Python features: tkinter is optional, crypto is optional (or at
> least used to be), etc.

That's a good idea - that would make the simple table have 4 columns:
name, deb, rpm, python module (or "essential").