Python.NET question?

Steve D'Aprano steve+python at pearwood.info
Tue Mar 21 07:46:50 EDT 2017

On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 08:39 pm, Tristan B. Kildaire wrote:

> On 2017/03/21 11:07 AM, Ivo Bellin Salarin wrote:
>> IronPython?
>>
>> Le mar. 21 mars 2017 08:52, Tristan B. Kildaire <deavmi at disroot.org> a
>> écrit :
>>
>>> Is Python.NET a version of Python that compiles Python source code to
>>> Microsoft's IR for running by a MS runtime?
>>> --
>>>
> I heard of Python.NET. ANyway, what is IronPython (is that the one that
> runs on an MS runtime?). The name is something I remember.

I'm not sure if Python.NET is a new name for "Python for .NET", or a
completely different project. Do you have a URL for it?

Python for .NET brings the regular CPython interpreter to the .NET and Mono
environments.

IronPython is a reimplementation of Python, written in C# as managed code
for .Net, running on the CLR virtual machine. It doesn't use a GIL, and is
sometimes considered a little faster than CPython.

IronPython:
    http://ironpython.net/

Python for .Net:
    https://github.com/pythonnet/pythonnet