__del__ is not called after creating a new reference

Steve D'Aprano steve+python at pearwood.info
Mon Mar 20 13:57:38 EDT 2017

On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 04:51 am, Steve D'Aprano wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Mar 2017 01:54 am, Oleg Nesterov wrote:
>
> [...]
>> However, this trivial test-case
[...]

> I cannot confirm that test case. When I try it, I get NameError:

Ah, never mind! I was running this in the interactive interpreter, and
forgot that it saves a reference to the last result using _ so of course
the __del__ method didn't run at all.

I changed the code to run:

c = C()
del c

and now I'm seeing the same thing as you: DEL is only printed once.

--
Steve
enough, things got worse.