Who are the "spacists"?

Erik python at lucidity.plus.com
Sun Mar 19 21:18:17 EDT 2017

On 19/03/17 23:23, Jon Ribbens wrote:
> On 2017-03-19, Erik <python at lucidity.plus.com> wrote:
>> On 19/03/17 22:29, Jon Ribbens wrote:
>>> Not to mention plenty of editors (e.g. vim) will unindent when you
>>> press backspace.
>>
>> I don't think that's strictly true. If you have just indented with a tab
>> character, then backspace will delete that tab character. But, if you
>> indent with either 4 spaces or use the Tab key with "expandtab" enabled,
>> then it will just delete the right-most space character.
>
> The option you want is "smarttab", then it will behave as I describe.

You're quite right (as was I because you didn't mention it wasn't
out-of-the-box functionality ;)).

I may well add that setting to my .vimrc, but FWIW, the Ctrl-D thing
harks back to the original "vi" which I grew up on, so although I may
add that setting, my muscle memory will probably still have me pressing
Ctrl-D forever ;)

> (Or install the "vim-sensible" settings, which I highly recommend.)

I have no interest in making my settings "sensible", thank you very much :D

Thanks though - it's always nice to learn another way to hone things
just as one likes them ...

E.