Who are the "spacists"?

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Sat Mar 18 21:05:53 EDT 2017

Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com>:

> On Sun, Mar 19, 2017 at 11:39 AM, Steve D'Aprano
> <steve+python at pearwood.info> wrote:
>> Is it also ridiculous to use several newlines to space paragraphs
>> vertically?
>
> At least with paragraphs, we don't have eternal debates between people
> who think they should have four newlines, three newlines, or.... oh
> wait, there is debate between two and one....

Some people like fluffy source code:

    def f():

        "doc"

        # Code follows

        x = calculate_some()

        return x + 1

Me, I like it compact:

    def f():
        "doc"
        # Code follows
        x = calculate_some()
        return x + 1

Not to worry! Just use VT characters to indicate vertical space and
configure your editor to display it with your favorite number of empty
pixels.

Thankfully, the use of VT characters in source code has experienced a
200% increase in recent years.

Marko