Who are the "spacists"?

Nathan Ernst nathan.ernst at gmail.com
Sat Mar 18 17:50:06 EDT 2017

My issue with using spaces instead of tabs, is that, as mentioned earlier
in the thread, everyone has their own preferences on indentation. I've
worked on teams where different developers used 2, 3 & 4 spaces as
indentation. Obviously, if you're using spaces, several of the members will
be unhappy.

Tabs have the benefit that most editors used by developers allow the
adjustment of the width of a tab. If you use tabs, everyone can be happy
with the visual presentation of their code.

My rule of thumb: tabs for indentation, spaces for alignment (i.e. trying
to line up anything after a non-whitespace character on a single line).

Regards,
Nathan