Dynamically replacing an objects __class__; is it safe?

marco.nawijn at colosso.nl marco.nawijn at colosso.nl
Wed Mar 15 05:54:49 EDT 2017

Dear All,

Summary of the question:
Is it generally safe to dynamically change an objects class; if not
under which conditions can it be considered safe.

Context:
Given the code below, I have no direct control over Base and M1. M1
is a instantiated by 'calling' the read-only property of Base.
I would like to transparently switch behaviour from M1 to M2. I have
tried several things, but finally settled on the code below. Although
it works really well, I am not sure whether I am about to shoot myself
in the foot. In short, what I do is derive from Base, shadow the read-only
property 'my_prop' so it returns M2 and finally replace an objects __class__
attribute with my derived class.

Any thoughts or comments?

(code below is Python 3)

class M1(object):