Where to find python GTK+ 3 reference documentation?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 15:57:20 EST 2017

On 03/10/2017 01:26 PM, Chris Green wrote:
> Wildman <best_lay at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 10 Mar 2017 18:51:35 +0000, Chris Green wrote:
>>
>>> I'm using the excellent tutorial at https://python-gtk-3-tutorial.readthedocs.io
>>> and occasionally want reference documentation, is there reference
>>> documentation for this on line?
>>
>> https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/
>>
> Thanks, that's the C/C++ documentation which will probably tell me
> what I want.  Isn't there proper Python documemtation for it?

There used to be, for GTK2, at http://pygtk.org.  But with the GTK3
bindings, they are now dynamic bindings using PyGObject, which itself is
documented here:  https://wiki.gnome.org/action/show/Projects/PyGObject.
 The resulting bound API closely resembles the GTK C API typically,
which is convenient, but not as Pythonic as the PyGTK2 bindings were.  I
assume there must be a tool out there that can autogenerate API docs (in
Python) for GTK3.

According to
https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/PyGObject/IntrospectionPorting, there's
a module called pygtkcompat that provides a very PyGTK-compatible API
that you can use while making the transition from PyGTK-style code.