What's the neatest way of getting dictionary entries in a specified order?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 07:16:32 EST 2017

On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 11:06 PM, Antoon Pardon
<antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be> wrote:
> Op 09-03-17 om 12:32 schreef Chris Angelico:
>
>> On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 8:25 AM, Chris Green <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
>>> Yes, I'm well aware of these issues, but it's my personal address book
>>> so I can avoid many/most of them.
>> The justification "it's *my* personal address book" is saying "none of
>> *my* friends have weird names, so I'm fine". So, yeah, he did.
>
> No he didn't, you are reading conclusions into his words that aren't
> there. An other possibility is that it is his personal address book,
> so he is at liberty to handle those weird names as he sees fit. He
> doesn't own anyone an explanation of how he organises his own personal
> address book.

You're still assuming that there are such things as "weird names". As
of Python 3, we've finally moved beyond the notion that there are
"weird characters" that don't fit into our nice tidy system where one
character is the same as one byte. We need to give people's names the
same courtesy. They are not "weird" names. They are 100% legitimate
names that should be welcomed into any system that accepts names.

(That said, though, I think it's not unreasonable to demand that names
be represented entirely in Unicode - falsehood #11 - as it's extremely
hard to deal with non-Unicode text. But you have to understand that
you'll be asking some number of people to represent themselves
differently for the convenience of your code.)

ChrisA