str.title() fails with words containing apostrophes

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Tue Mar 7 00:57:29 EST 2017

Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com>:

> On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 12:03 PM, Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net> wrote:
>>
>> As for the UK:
>>
>>    Yhdistynyt kuningaskunta
>
> About the only part of that that I understand is "kuning" ==
> king/queen/kingdom. I swear, you like the letter 'y' more than the
> Welsh do...

The Proto-Finnic borrowed the word "kuningas" from the Proto-Germanic,
where it was "kuningaz". The Germanic descendant languages have mangled
the original quite a bit:

   English: king
   German: König
   Swedish: kung

See also: <URL: http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=king>.

The word "yhdistynyt" ultimately comes from the Proto-Uralic word
"*ükte" ("one"). The word "kunta" ("society") is in its Proto-Uralic
form.

Marko