How to build a simple neural network in 9 lines of Python code

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 23:56:24 EDT 2017

On Wednesday, June 28, 2017 at 1:04:46 AM UTC+5:30, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
> John Ladasky
> > OK, that's cheating a bit, using Numpy. It's a nice little program,
> > but it leverages a huge, powerful library.
>
> What would *not* be cheating? A language without a library would be
> dead.

One man's powerful is another's simple
A beginning C programmer treats lists as a "data structure" for an advanced
course on data structures
A beginning python programmer starts using them in his first hour or at worst day

Likewise python does this with the help of numpy
>From which one could conclude one of
- This (numpy-using) 9 lines is advanced
- Numpy needs to be in python's core

My guess of Marko's intent of bringing up APL is just to show a language in
which numpy is effectively in the language core

My other guess is that these same 9 lines could be translated to R with no import

PS I am not advocating numpybuiltintopython