How to build a simple neural network in 9 lines of Python code

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 15:59:48 EDT 2017

On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 5:34 AM, Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net> wrote:
> John Ladasky <john_ladasky at sbcglobal.net>:
>> OK, that's cheating a bit, using Numpy. It's a nice little program,
>> but it leverages a huge, powerful library.
>
> What would *not* be cheating? A language without a library would be
> dead.

Sure, but there are different levels of cheating. Using a
general-purpose programming language and its standard library isn't
usually considered cheating, but using a language or library that's
specifically designed for this purpose is less about "hey look how
simple this is" and more about "hey look how awesome this lang/lib
is". Which is a perfectly reasonable thing to brag; Python is
beautifully expressive in the general case, but there are some amazing
tools for special purposes.

So I wouldn't call it cheating; it's a demonstration of the
expressiveness of numpy.

ChrisA