"Python launcher" required to run *.py scripts on Windows?

Ned Batchelder ned at nedbatchelder.com
Tue Jun 27 06:33:52 EDT 2017

On Tuesday, June 27, 2017 at 1:41:22 AM UTC-4, Ben S. wrote:
> As I observed v3.6.1 installs (on Windows 7) in addition to the core python engine a second program "Python Launcher".
>
> As far as I read this component seems to be not necessary since it only aims to facilitate the handling with *.py scripts on Windows.
>
> When I always call Python script from CommandPrompt like
>
> D:\tools\Python\python.exe mypythonscript.py
>
> then this Launcher should not be necessary.
>
> Am I right?
>
> Since I prefer to have as less prgrams installed as possible I consider to uninstall the Python Launcher.
>
> Is this possible without causing trouble to Python executions?

Micro-managing installations like this seems like a bad idea.  If Python
installed it, and you are not running out of disk space, then leave it
alone.

Perhaps Python will be fine if you remove the launcher, but it's
a bad habit to pursue: other software will be harder to untangle, and
when problems occur, others will be unable to help because you will now
have a completely unique and unsupported configuration.

Is there some problem you are trying to solve by removing the launcher?

--Ned.