Syntax error for simple script

Steve D'Aprano steve+python at pearwood.info
Tue Jun 27 05:57:32 EDT 2017

On Tue, 27 Jun 2017 03:00 am, mm0fmf wrote:

> Sorry to victim blame but why can't people copy the error message into a
> search engine, such as Google, and see what the problem is themselves?

You're not victim blaming. There's no *victim* here, syntax errors are a part of
programming and one has to learn to deal with them. That's like a sketch artist
whose pencil lead snaps. It happens, and dealing with it is part of the job.

We're volunteers, not being paid for our time, and while we're happy to help
people with problems the implied social contract goes both ways: people should
make an honest effort to solve the problem themselves before asking us to solve
it for them.

So you're right to ask whether or not the OP tried googling for the error
message first. Nothing to apologise for.

--
Steve
enough, things got worse.