environment variable

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Sun Jun 25 00:47:40 EDT 2017

On 24Jun2017 21:31, Gene Heskett <gheskett at shentel.net> wrote:
>On Saturday 24 June 2017 21:03:18 Steve D'Aprano wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>> > export PATH=
>> > but be prepared to type the full path to anything you want to run.
>> > It a PITA, or a cast iron bitch or whatever definition fits.
>>
>> Are you serious? The OP asked how to delete *one line* from an
>> environment variable, and you respond by deleting them all?
>>
>$PATH is a single line in the env. The OP asked how to delete it, so I
>told him. If he had asked how to get rid of a single piece of the $PATH,
>then my answer would have been longer and more precise.

English is clearly the OP's second language, and his post was pretty clear that
he did indeed want to remove a single item from the things named in $PATH. He
even provided example code showing exactly what he wanted to remove, and which
demonstrated that he knew it was a colon separated string, which he was
presenting as lines for purposes of clarity.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au>