Progress on the Gilectomy (Posting On Python-List Prohibited)

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Fri Jun 23 05:04:16 EDT 2017

Gregory Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz>:

> Lawrence D’Oliveiro wrote:
>> what WOULD you consider to be so “representative”?
>
> I don't claim any of them to be representative. Different GC
> strategies have different characteristics.

My experiences with Hotspot were a bit disheartening. GC is a winning
concept provided that you don't have to strategize too much. In
practice, it seems tweaking the GC parameters is a frequent necessity.

On the other hand, I believe much of the trouble comes from storing too
much information in the heap. Applications shouldn't have semipersistent
multigigabyte lookup structures kept in RAM, at least not in numerous
small objects.

Marko