Progress on the Gilectomy

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 09:36:27 EDT 2017

On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 11:27 PM, Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net> wrote:
> CFK <cfkaran2 at gmail.com>:
>
>> Yes, and this is why I suspect CPython would work well too.  My usage
>> pattern may be similar to Python usage patterns. The only way to know for
>> sure is to try it and see what happens.
>
> I have a rule of thumb that your application should not need more than
> 10% of the available RAM. If your server has 4 GB of RAM, your
> application should only need 400 MB. The 90% buffer should be left for
> the GC to maneuver.

*BOGGLE*

I could see a justification in saying "aim for 400MB, because then
unexpected spikes won't kill you", or "aim for 400MB to ensure that
you can run multiple instances of the app for load balancing", or "aim
for 400MB because you don't want to crowd out the database and the
disk cache", but not "aim for 400MB because the garbage collector is
only 10% efficient". Get yourself a better garbage collector. Employ
Veolia or something.

ChrisA