Progress on the Gilectomy

CFK cfkaran2 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 09:11:43 EDT 2017

On Jun 21, 2017 1:38 AM, "Paul Rubin" <no.email at nospam.invalid> wrote:

Cem Karan <cfkaran2 at gmail.com> writes:
> I'm not too sure how much of performance impact that will have.  My
> code generates a very large number of tiny, short-lived objects at a
> fairly high rate of speed throughout its lifetime.  At least in the
> last iteration of the code, garbage collection consumed less than 1%
> of the total runtime.  Maybe this is something that needs to be done
> and profiled to see how well it works?

If the gc uses that little runtime and your app isn't suffering from the
added memory fragmentation, then it sounds like you're doing fine.

Yes, and this is why I suspect CPython would work well too.  My usage
pattern may be similar to Python usage patterns. The only way to know for
sure is to try it and see what happens.

> I **still** can't figure out how they managed to do it,

How it works (i.e. what the implementation does) is quite simple and
understandable.  The amazing thing is that it doesn't leak memory
catastrophically.

I'll have to read through the code then, just to see what they are doing.

Thanks,
Cem Karan