Instagram: 40% Py3 to 99% Py3 in 10 months (Posting On Python-List Prohibited)

Paul Rubin no.email at nospam.invalid
Wed Jun 21 01:17:59 EDT 2017

Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> writes:
> genuinely good reason...  (Which might include "the customer insists",
> or "yeah, I know it sucks, but politics".)

I think the current LTS versions of Ubuntu and Debian both come with
Python 2.  Not sure about Centos/RHEL.  Those seem like ok reasons to
me.

> if you want to use 1.5 go right ahead

I tested all my Python 2 code for compatibility with 1.5 for quite a
long time into the Python 2 series, but eventually got too addicted to
stuff like using iterators pervasively.  I don't think Python 2 really
broke any 1.5 code though.  At least the print statement still worked.

I'm comfortable enough with Python that it's still what I do most of my
personal stuff with, but both py2 and py3 have enough deficiencies that
I see them being relegated to the numerical computation niche, where
they really do have strong library support and a dedicated user base.

Unfortunately, everything I know of that fixes Python's deficiencies
also introduces deficiencies of its own, so at best it's a wash.