Instagram: 40% Py3 to 99% Py3 in 10 months (Posting On Python-List Prohibited)

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Tue Jun 20 01:52:31 EDT 2017

On Mon, 19 Jun 2017 21:45:09 -0700, Paul Rubin wrote:

> Lawrence D’Oliveiro <lawrencedo99 at gmail.com> writes:
>> Is Python 2 the Windows XP of the programming world?
>
> That's a good way to put it.  It's nice to hear about Instagram but so
> far I don't personally know anyone who uses Python 3.

Funny about that, I don't personally know anyone who uses Java or C++.

You should check out Reddit's /r/python, it has a reputation for being
(unreasonably, obnoxiously) pro-Python 3 even when people have a good
reason for sticking with Python 1.

I mean 2.

> Meanwhile there's still lots of new Py2 projects being started.

Unless that project is extremely small, or a throw-away ("we need it for
three months, then it's obsolete"[1]), I consider starting new projects
in Python 2 to be borderline professional misconduct, unless there's a
genuinely good reason.

(Which might include "the customer insists", or "yeah, I know it sucks,
but politics".)

In less than three years time, 2.7 will no longer be receiving support or
bug fixes from the Python core devs. There will still be paid support
from third parties available for a few years after that, but this is
starting to limit your options.

(E.g. are you willing to tell your clients to move their servers to RHEL
so they can pay for Red Hat support for Python 2.7?)

At this point, any Python developer who isn't recommending Python 3 as
the default choice is doing their clients a professional disservice, in
my opinion.

It's still okay to use 2.7 if you have a good reason, or a bad reason for
that matter, hell if you want to use 1.5 go right ahead, it's free
software. But 2.7 should not be any professional Python developer's
default recommendation any longer.

https://pythonclock.org/

--
Steve