Progress on the Gilectomy

Gregory Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Mon Jun 19 18:19:07 EDT 2017

Ethan Furman wrote:
> Let me ask a different question:  How much effort is required at the C
> level when using tracing garbage collection?

That depends on the details of the GC implementation, but often
you end up swapping one form of boilerplate (maintaining ref
counts) for another (such as making sure the GC system knows
about all the temporary references you're using).

Some, such as the Bohm collector, try to figure it all out
automagically, but they rely on non-portable tricks and aren't
totally reliable.

--
Greg