Instagram: 40% Py3 to 99% Py3 in 10 months

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Mon Jun 19 01:52:07 EDT 2017

On Sun, 18 Jun 2017 20:57:56 -0700, Paul Rubin wrote:

> Paul Barry <paul.james.barry at gmail.com> writes:
>> The process they followed is discussed in their recent Keynote at PyCon
>> 2017: https://youtu.be/66XoCk79kjM Well worth the 40 minutes it takes
>> to watch  :-)
>
> If it takes 40 minutes to describe how they did it, that sounds like
> more hassle than most users of working py2 code probably want to deal
> with.

Well that depends on whether you have 100 lines of code or 100 million
lines of code.

One of the guys in my office migrated the Python code base for one of our
internal projects overnight. The cheeky bugger didn't even tell us he was
going to do it, he just stayed in the office one night for an extra three
or four hours and presented us with a fait-accompli the next day.

Admittedly it wasn't a huge code base, by memory something like twenty
scripts and modules and 5-10 KLOC, give or take. That's not bad. I've
spent an hour just formatting the comments in a single module *wink*

--
Steve