[OT] is JSON all that great? - was Re: API Help

Erik python at lucidity.plus.com
Thu Jun 15 16:17:05 EDT 2017

On 15/06/17 15:10, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 12:00 AM, alister <alister.ware at ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> Json is designed to be legal Javascript code & therefore directly
>> executable so no parser is posible.
>>

> "no parser is possible"???

I *think* alister meant "so it is possible to not use a parser
[library]" (i.e., parse the stream using JavaScript's parser via eval()
- though I agree with everyone else who has said this should never be done).

I may be wrong about what alister meant, but the language reminds me of
a German colleague of mine from a few years back who wrote in some API
update documentation "Specifying parameter X is no longer an option".
What he meant was "is now mandatory" or "is no longer optional". To a
native English speaker, it reads as "can no longer be used" which is the
opposite of what he meant ...

E.