Access flles on a Android device from Windows PC

eryk sun eryksun at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 19:30:37 EDT 2017

On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 7:36 PM, Fred Fishbin <FredFishbin at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I want to write little program that my friend can run - he'll plug a USB drive
> into his Windows 7 PC, plug his phone in a USB port on same PC, then run my
> program and it'll xfer some audiobook files over for him.
>
> I plugged the USB drive in and it became "G:\", but the phone plugged in and
> became just "SAMSUNG-SM-G930V", no drive designation, just a Portable Media
> Device.  Windows Explore can go there so the files are accessible, the phone
> isn't looking him out, but what do I use for a path?  I tried several different
> listdir()'s nothing worked.

The shell is probably mounting the device via the Windows Portable
Devices (WPD) API. It isn't mounted as a USB disk with a file system,
so it won't be assigned a drive letter that you can simply use via
file-system APIs such as open (CreateFile), listdir (FindFirstFile),
etc. You can look into using WPD Automation via win32com [1]. I
haven't used WPD, so I can't offer specific help.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/library/dd389295