New to Python - Career question

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Tue Jun 6 18:37:45 EDT 2017

ptanyc at gmail.com:

> New to Python and have been at it for about a month now. I'm doing
> well and like it very much. Considering a career change down the road
> and have been wondering... What are the job prospects for a middle age
> entry level programmer. Just trying to get a better understanding
> where I stand career wise. Appreciate all feed back. Thanks!

Different employers hire differently. I have hired several people for my
employer, and age has never been a concern. Python is also an important
tool where I work.

However, the problem in our field is that you have to be quite good to
be truly useful. Unfortunately, it seems that only a minority with a
formal degree are good enough. On the other hand, I work with some great
software developers who don't have a degree at all.

One good way to become a good developer and also test oneself is to pick
a free software project online a become a contributor. Your commit log
entries on GitHub advertise you much better than any pretty-printed
résumé.

Marko