[OT] How to improve my programming skills?

mbg1708 at planetmail.com mbg1708 at planetmail.com
Sat Jun 3 16:35:33 EDT 2017

> I'm looking for a way (*the* way, ie. the "BEST(tm)" way) to improve
> my coding skills. While I'm a quite hard-core computer geek since 25
> years and a really good (hobbyist) Linux-SOHO-Admin, my programming
> skills are less than sub-par. I wish to change that and become at
> least am average hobby-programmer.

But what do you want to DO with these new improved programming skills? Taking a little time to answer this question will help.  For example, suppose that you want to reduce the time you spend using your Linux-SOHO-Admin skills, then perhaps you might learn more about the architecture of Fedora (or Debian), and then learn more about bash and C.

Or, in another example, you may want to write a GUI application to improve or simplify some process which you have written and which you believe could be made better.  This might lead you to learn Glade and Python3.

But after the LEARNING, you need to scope out a specific, probably small, PROJECT which you might complete in, say, one month.  Write short requirements (elsewhere someone suggested use cases -- good suggestion).  If a GUI is involved, sketch out screen mock ups (pencil and paper).  Determine if the requirements fall naturally into separate parts -- this might be an early clue about the possible modularity of your project.  Then start programming.  If you have found possible modularity, then test each module as you go.

Finally, in my experience, the first time round is a huge learning experience.  So go back and re-write from scratch.  The second product will almost certainly be of higher quality than the first, and you might find that the second go round would be better written using different tools.....more learning....and so on.