Transitioning from Linux to Windows

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Jun 3 15:01:23 EDT 2017

On Sun, Jun 4, 2017 at 12:24 AM,  <chitturk at uah.edu> wrote:
> On Saturday, June 3, 2017 at 8:50:27 AM UTC-5, Chris Angelico wrote:
>
>> Hmm. ISTM the easiest way would be to run an explicit server, probably
>> HTTP (hence Django as you mentioned), and then you can have people
>> access it using a client on Windows. With HTTP, that client would
>> simply be a web browser. I would advise picking up a quick tutorial on
>> Django or Flask, and seeing how easy it is to spin up an app and start
>> responding to requests.
>>
>> ChrisA
>
> Yes, "django" indeed seems to be a good solution - But I am having a tough time understanding how to set it up :( ...
>
> All I need is a simple example (say in django) with explicit directions "django for dummies" - that shows how to set it up - access is using http(s) and execute on the server/ubuntu ... I have indeed looked far and wide for the "simplest" example in django I can learn from/adapt ... it is something I have struggled with for sure ... (number crunching is what I do know, UI's are strange to me!)

There are some great Django tutorials out there; I believe the Django
Girls tutorial is a great one (whether you're a girl or not):

https://tutorial.djangogirls.org/en/

Alternatively, Flask tends to be simpler to set up than Django is.
Here's a simple app I built a while ago that uses Flask:

https://github.com/Rosuav/Flask1

As you can see, all the code resides in a single file. (That's not how
I would structure a full-size app, but for what you're doing here, it
would be fine.) You don't need to worry about WSGI or anything, just
run your program directly; when it hits app.run() down the bottom,
it'll process requests until you halt it with Ctrl-C.

The Web is an important part of today's world, and time spent getting
familiar with the use of a web browser as your UI is time well spent.
You should be able to master this in a weekend, I would guess.

ChrisA