[OT] How to improve my programming skills?

Neil Cerutti neilc at norwich.edu
Thu Jun 1 16:51:01 EDT 2017

On 2017-06-01, Mirko via Python-list <python-list at python.org> wrote:
> Hello everybody!
>
> TLDR: Sorry for OT. Long-time Linux geek and hobby programmer
> wants to improve his coding skills. What's most important:
> project planing, algorithms and data structures, contributing
> to FOSS, web development, learning other languages or something
> else?

I recommend a few things you haven't yet mentioned: learning to
use source control, and working toward a systematic way of
composing and runnings tests as you develop..

Secondly, I recommend picking up a programming langauge that
concentrates on functional programming with immutable state if
you haven't done it before. The book that worked for me was
Simply Scheme https://people.eecs.berkeley.edu/~bh/ss-toc2.html,
but that's sorta ancient history now and I'm sure there's lots
more options out there.

--
Neil Cerutti