How to install Python package from source on Windows

Deborah Swanson python at deborahswanson.net
Thu Jun 1 11:09:11 EDT 2017

Gregory Ewing wrote, on Thursday, June 01, 2017 1:12 AM

> Deborah Swanson wrote:
> > Why do you care so deeply what pip does on an operating
> system that is
> > no longer supported?
>
> Being pipless is a sufficiently distressing fate that we'd
> like to help, even if you didn't explicitly request it.
>
> Particularly since it seems like such an unnecessary one,
> because installing pip shouldn't require any kind of compiler
> on any version of any operating system, supported or
> otherwise. So the fact that it apparently does on your system
> is very puzzling, and some of us would like to solve that puzzle.
>
> --
> Greg

That's nice, but as I've said, the problem can be solved by reinstalling

Anaconda3 and PyCharm. Not fun or easy, but at least the outcome would
be known if I really needed pip, which I won't for quite awhile.
Honestly, this installation of Anaconda3 is so unstable it behaves
differently everytime I try to do something with it. Better to leave
well enough alone right now.

I really need what little usable time I have making progress with
Python, and I should be a lot healthier in a few months. And I'd rather
spend the downtime then getting my good computer up and running, and
Python on Linux again. Then this problem vanishes.

Deborah