unpacking elements in python - any tips u want to share ?

Ganesh Pal ganesh1pal at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 10:33:14 EDT 2017

Hello Python friends ,

I need some inputs on the efficient way to unpack the elements in python ,
I know this is a very basic question , just curious to know if  there are
better way ways to achieve it .

For our initial discussion let’s start with list

I have a list with say 7 elements  say if I need to unpack  first 3
elements  in the list and pass it an argument to the new fuction, here is
my elementary code

>>var1 = “”

>>var2 = “ ”

>>var 3 = “ ”

>> var 4=  “”

>> var5 =  “”

>> var 6 = “”

>>var7 =””

>>> my_list = []

>>> my_list.append(1)

>>> my_list.append(0xffe)

>>> my_list.append(2)

>>> my_list.append('4th element')

>>> my_list.append('5th element')

>>> my_list.append(2)

>>> my_list.append(0xffe)

>>> my_list

[1, 4094, 2, '4th element', '5th element', 2, 4094]

>>> if len(my_list) == 7 :

...    var1,var2,var3,var4,var5,var6,var7 = my_list

...    print var1,var2,var3,var4,var5,var6,var7

...     var8 =  get_eighth_element(var1,int(var2),int(var3))

…..  my_list.append(var8)

….print my_list

1 4094  2 4th element 5th element 2 4094

1 4094  2 4th element 5th element 2 4094 01

In case of list  , I can use slices too  , to unpack the elements I am
interested  in .

Example : say If I  need to compare second and second last element in the
list, here is the simple code  using slices,

>>my_list[]

1 4094  2 4th element 5th element 2 4094 01

>>> my_list[-2]

4094

>>> my_list[1]

4094

>>var1 = my_list[-2]

>> var 2 = my_list[1]

>>> if len(my_list) == 8:

...    if my_list[-2] == my_list[1]:

...       print "Test Passed"

...    else:

...        print "Test Failed"

Test Passed

what other ways to I have ( if at all) ? to unpack the elements  in python

Regards,

Ganesh