Basic python understanding

Rhodri James rhodri at kynesim.co.uk
Thu Jul 27 09:34:16 EDT 2017

On 27/07/17 13:24, D'Arcy Cain wrote:
> On 07/27/2017 02:31 AM, Gregory Ewing wrote:
>> I'd like to add that what you should really be looking for is
>> not a Python programmer as such, but simply a good, competent
>> programmer.
>>
>> Any decent programmer will be able to quickly pick up what
>> they need to know about Python on the job. If they can't,
>> then they're not good enough, and you shouldn't hire them.
>
> I'll second that.  I once had to build a team of Python developers for a
> major project.  The pool of actual Python programmers was small so we
> just advertised for programmers.  In the interviews we used a test that
> used C to determine their problem solving skills.  We also looked for
> new grads so that they didn't have to un-learn a bunch of stuff.  We
> wound up with an amazing team that managed to build the project in
> record time.
>
> Lesson: Look for programmers, not Python (or Perl or C or C++ or Java
> or...) programmers.

This isn't universally true, I'm afraid.  A friend of mine who is a very
good C/assembler programmer simply cannot get his head around Python's
mindset.  If you want bullet-proof Flash programming code, he's your
man.  If you want Python-based unit tests for it, don't ask him.

--
Rhodri James *-* Kynesim Ltd