Installing matplotlib on python3

FS sonnichs at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 07:40:40 EDT 2017

I just installed matplotlib on debian and I tried to import it on python3. It cannot be found however it can be found on python 2.x. No surprise:
  A 'find -name matplotliib' reveals:
/usr/share/matplotlib
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/matplotlib

I am not sure how the apt-get elected to place matplotlib in the python2.7 directory but I want to "properly" install it so it can import under python3.

>There are probably commands from python3 to point its import to the 2.7 directory, but I expect that is just a workaround and I am uneasy about whether I have somehow installed a 2.7 compatible version only of matplotlib.
>Possibly there is some recommended way to re-install matplotlib for python3 sending it to the appropriate directories.

Any advice here?
thanks
fritz