Recent Spam problem

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Wed Jul 26 03:28:50 EDT 2017

On 25/07/2017 06:13, Rustom Mody wrote:
> Of late there has been an explosion of spam
> Thought it was only a google-groups (USENET?) issue and would be barred from the mailing list.
>
> But then find its there in the mailing list archives as well
> Typical example: https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2017-July/724085.html
>
> What gives??

Well, just for clarification: the spam measures on the list are at least
partly manual. In this case, the spammer started to use a different
address from the one we were trapping so it took until one of us (me, in
this case) spotted the incoming spam before we were able to block it.

I almost never look at the GG mirror (or Usenet) so it wasn't until the
post which started this thread that I realised just how much spam is
being thrown at the newsgroup.

In case it wasn't clear to anyone: GG is actually a gateway to
comp.lang.python which presents itself as a mailing list, while gmane
(while it's still running) is a gateway to the python-list which
presents itself as a newsgroup.

TJG